1.07.2013

Semester II: The Danger of a Single Story

Happy New Year!  After a restful break, I'm excited to begin second semester with my with two very different, though related novels.  My AP Lit Seniors will tackle Conrad's Heart of Darkness, while my sophomores will read Achebe's Things Fall Apart.  As Achebe wrote his novel as a response to what he identified as Conrad's rampant racism in Heart of Darkness, I'm hoping to create some opportunities for my sophomores and seniors (who read Things Fall Apart when they were tenth graders) to share their thoughts about both texts.

While I'm eager to move from back and forth from one text to the other over the next few weeks, I'm going to start the semester in both courses with this TED talk by Nigerian author Chimamanda Adichie, entitled "The Danger of a Single Story."



For this week's blog post, share your thoughts on Adichie's talk, after you've read the first chapters of Achebe's novel.  Does Adichie's talk influence your reading of this novel?  How?

No comments:

Post a Comment